Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

An Adventure with Macy's

            For my Consumer Behavior class, we had to analyze something in the media involving consumer behavior.  My group decided on one of Macy's latest advertisements, which involved Kris Kringle from Miracle on 34th Street...
            I really enjoyed this advertisement because of the nostalgia it brought back for me.  I think that Macy's wanted to put out a different advertisement than their "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause" advertisements for their Believe campaign.  The story of Virginia has been used for quite a few years, so Macy's needed to do something a bit different.

            I think that Macy's is trying to target a broad range of ages.  By including the Kris Kringle character from Miracle on 34th Street, they get the older age range, Justin Beiber gets the younger ages.  And the many other celebrities get everyone in between.

            I think this commercial was successful because it can successfully reach all ages and the commercial is successful in staying true to the Macy's brand during the Christmas season.  A negative of this advertisement might be that Donald Trump was included (which many people don't agree with), but I think that Macy's did a good job of combatting the backlash by making Donald Trump skeptical of Kris Kringle.  But personally, I don't care whether Donald Trump is in their advertisements or not, so I think that this advertisement has the potential to be successful in drawing in more customers for shopping and letter writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment